Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Protecting TV Wires from Rabbit Teeth (and Vice-Versa!)

Walter is not my favorite this week.  I don’t know what’s gotten into him, but he seems to be on a mission to chew every doorframe, wire, and electrical cord in my apartment.  On top of that, his cage is smellier than usual, and I can’t get rid of the stink no matter how many times I change his litter box. I can’t imagine he enjoys the smell either.  Maybe that’s why he’s misbehaving.

At any rate, unpacking the apartment while there is a curious rabbit hopping around is tiresome and impossible.  Just as I start making progress, I have to stop what I’m doing to bunny-proof a new section of the apartment.  Needless to say, I haven’t gotten very far in setting up the new house.

One of the biggest trouble spots in my apartment is the entertainment center.  I have this great IKEA bookcase that I use as a TV stand/knickknack display, but it’s completely open.  This means that Walter is able to climb through the shelving to all the cords and cables for the TV, where he finds a delicious and dangerous snack.

IKEA Expedit Bookcase

What can I use to block him from accessing the TV cables?  I’d like something clear, for aesthetic purposes, that fits behind the bookcase so that Walter can still hop on the shelving if he wants, but can’t get to the wires.  Ideas?

3 comments:

  1. IKEA has these hard plastic panels and tubes where you hide cables and protect them from bunny teeth.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20097954

    There are also other options. For example, my apartment is bunny proofed with cable panels such as these http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-CMK50-CordMate-Computer-Entertainment/dp/B0015EDVVU/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a great article in MyHouseRabbit.org about Bunny Proofing Your Home http://www.myhouserabbit.com/tip_bunnyproofing.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - thanks for the tip and link! The IKEA ones are probably a better option, since they don't require affixing anything to the wall. I appreciate the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete